Come now, and let us reason together, saith the Lord: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool. Isaiah 1:18
God calls tribe of Judah for repentance and turn to richeousness even though they knew God there hearts were far from God. They worshiped God with rituals but didn’t understand him, which is an vain. Here God is calling Judah to reason which is an serious call not what we understand in today’s term but as father calling to his children to reason or talk on serious matter when He finds there mistakes.
– They lived with all immorality and covetness.
– Greed was all upon there heart.
– There ways were like Prostitute.
And God warns by saying “And I will turn my hand upon thee” which is all because of there Sin.
This is not different issue when addressed to today’s Christianity,
Todays preachings claims all church attendees shall inherit in heaven irrespect of there behaviour and understanding of scripture. Preachers tempts them with all worldly desires (lusts of this world) and pretends them God has provided those luxuries of there life (Where bible warns saying not to store treasures on earth but store on heaven). This issue is most commonly found in churches run by hierarchy, new evangelicals, charismatic movements, Catholics and more modern cult systems.
– Prosperity refers to spiritual materials not physical,
– Healing refers to spiritual not physical,
– Prophecy today’s refers to declaring (as preacher) not revelation (foretell).
And many more areas todays christian beliefs are filled with compromise theory (which is confirming once faith to this world).
New age movement is fastest growing cult practice in churches as observed in twenty first century, where theologians puts it in this way Human Potential, New Spirituality, Self Spirituality, Self Empowerment, Alternative Spirituality, and Global Transformation. This theology got lot of serious issues concerning to the scripture as it ends up teaching with lot of self desire than Gods desire.
David Cloud says,
“The New Age philosophy has permeated the self-help, personal transformation field; it has leavened education (from lowest to highest levels) and reached deeply into business, health care, psychological counseling, drug and alcohol rehabilitation, politics and government, athletics and sports, even the military. “
Where Neil Anderson says,
“It is safe to say that the prevailing religion in America … is no longer Christianity but is instead New Age” (Christ Centered Therapy, 2000, p. 61). A trip to the average national-chain book store will verify this. New Age philosophy is found not just in the religious, spiritual, occult and metaphysical sections.
There are more groups that fall under same threat, but let us understand that Great commission was to teach what Jesus commanded to do (Go and make disciples) which means make people like christ in character not changing Christ from gospel to suite there own character and needs.
Every believer is disciple as he has been personally called for Great Commission of Lord.
Disciple in its original language means “student” where 12 disciples initially learnt from Jesus even though they were not scholars but just an ordinary men (can be called tradesmen), but still they did what Jesus told to do so. So disciple is one who obeys Christ’s words rejects rituals imposed by religious hierarchies.
• Discipleship is listening to Jesus and rejecting wordy desires.
• Discipleship is watch what Jesus does as 12 disciples did as they were with Him, as today we got scripture the true word of God.
• Discipleship is following example of Christ [i.e, Christ like disciple].
• Taking Great Commission is to “speak God’s word” about repentance and believe the Gospel.
• Taking Great Commission is “showing God’s works” through us from our transformed life.
• Taking Great Commission is “reflecting God’s character” in our lives as testimony to others to show how to live.
Being Christ-like [disciple] is ATTITUDE not gift nor talent.
- Disciple should be available, The greatest stability is availability, Believers needs to be available to join and worship and Glorify God in all possible times, when we show our availability to serve God he shows his will.
- Matthew 28:16, Then the eleven disciples went away into Galilee, into a mountain where Jesus had appointed them.
- Disciples didn’t knew why they were there but they were availability for Christ. They listened to Christ, they obeyed to His commandment, they did what He said.
Pastor Mathews says, You miss or produce huge gap in word of God because of our not availability.Disciple needs to Worship
- Matthew 28:17, And when they saw him, they worshipped him: but some doubted.
Disciple needs to be Submissive
- Matthew 28:18, And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
Disciple should be Obedient
- Matthew 28:19, Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost.
Promise from God,
- Matthew 28:20, Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.
- Even though Revelation speaks about seven churches as they had different needs but still same commandment applies LISTEN. Because word of God is not to be used for our own self benefits but to Glorify Lord which is completely opposite to todays Prosperity Gospel [an cult].
Things that are said to “Glorify God”Doing good works,
Matthew 5:16, Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.
John 15:8, Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples.
Luke 17:15, And one of them, when he saw that he was healed, turned back, and with a loud voice glorified God.
Romans 15:5-6, Now the God of patience and consolation grant you to be likeminded one toward another according to Christ Jesus: That ye may with one mind and one mouth glorify God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.
John 14:3, And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.
Being moral pure,
1 Corinthians 6:19-20, What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God’s.
Using our abilities,
1 Peter 4:11, If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God; if any man minister, let him do it as of the ability which God giveth: that God in all things may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom be praise and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.
1 Peter 1:7, That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ.
1 Peter 4:14, If ye be reproached for the name of Christ, happy are ye; for the spirit of glory and of God resteth upon you: on their part he is evil spoken of, but on your part he is glorified.
Being generous givers,
1 Corinthians 9:6-15, Or I only and Barnabas, have not we power to forbear working? Who goeth a warfare any time at his own charges? who planteth a vineyard, and eateth not of the fruit thereof? or who feedeth a flock, and eateth not of the milk of the flock?
Say I these things as a man? or saith not the law the same also? For it is written in the law of Moses, Thou shalt not muzzle the mouth of the ox that treadeth out the corn. Doth God take care for oxen? Or saith he it altogether for our sakes? For our sakes, no doubt, this is written: that he that ploweth should plow in hope; and that he that thresheth in hope should be partaker of his hope. If we have sown unto you spiritual things, is it a great thing if we shall reap your carnal things? If others be partakers of this power over you, are not we rather? Nevertheless we have not used this power; but suffer all things, lest we should hinder the gospel of Christ. Do ye not know that they which minister about holy things live of the things of the temple? and they which wait at the altar are partakers with the altar? Even so hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the gospel should live of the gospel.
But I have used none of these things: neither have I written these things, that it should be so done unto me: for it were better for me to die, than that any man should make my glorying void.
Being like Christ,
1 Peter 3:18, For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit.
Gods call for todays believers is not to be religious in rituals (vain observers) but be lovers of God in heart and by obeying his words.